Holiday Cheap Flights Index 2014
How Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years Flights are Trending
Holiday Fare Index
September 18, 2014
How is the Fare Index Calculated?
Each day, we track 11,000 airfares for flights during the holiday season. We then add up the prices from a group of the most popular markets and construct the CheapAir Holiday Fare Index.
For us at CheapAir, the holidays started back in April when we began tracking holiday flight trends. Our mission: to arm you with all the information you need to find your cheap flight for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Use our Holiday Air Fare Index and trending chart to track daily changes in price and demand, and read our insider tips and advice to learn how you can score a cheap holiday flight this year.
Best days to fly for the Holidays
- Best Bargains
- Highest Fares
- Nov 26 If you’re travelling the day before Thanksgiving, book early, as the holiday approaches, this day gets very expensive.
- Nov 27 You may be stuck with cold turkey, but you can sometimes snag a great fare!
- Jan 30 Traditionally, the busiest travel day of the year (and one of the most expensive!); avoid if you can!
- Dec 1 Often a good (read: cheaper) alternative to coming back on Sunday
Ready to buy? Search Holiday flights
Holiday Travel News and Updates from Experts at CheapAir
September 5, 2014
With the unofficial end-of-summer now past, this is a time that many would-be travelers start thinking about Thanksgiving flights. If history serves, more people will book flights for Turkey Day in September than during all the previous months combined. But do you really need to book this early? Read more »
August 7, 2014
If you’re planning to fly for Thanksgiving in 2014, and you have the good fortune to be reading this article, we have two words of advice for you: Buy Now. Read more »
July 29, 2014
Last week, I walked into my local drugstore to pick up some sunscreen for a spontaneous trip to the beach and my eyes were assaulted with an entire row of Christmas decorations—in July! This experience brought out my inner Scrooge – how in the heck am I expected to start Christmas shopping in July?
June 2, 2014
We know it seems crazy early to be talking about flights for the holidays — many of you haven’t even booked your summer trip yet. But it’s worth pointing out that today, June 2, was the least expensive day (on average) to buy flights for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years in 2013. Read more »
June 1, 2014
Welcome to the 2014 edition of the CheapAir Holiday Fare Index! We’ve built this section of our site to make it easier for you to find the best air fares for travel during the busy Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years’ seasons.
January 5, 2014
The holiday travel season is just about over and throngs of people, weather permitting, are in the process of making their way home. Over the last 7 months, we looked at just under three hundred sixty five million fares, ran them through all kinds of queries, and gleaned some really great insights. So before we close the book completely on the 2013 holidays, let’s take a look at some of the things we learned: Read more »
Tips for Booking Cheap Flights for the Holidays
- Book earlier than usual for the holidays. Prices will continue to rise as flights get more and more full.
- Be flexible with your travel days. Sometimes flying a day earlier or later can make a huge difference.
- Try mixing and matching airlines to get the cheapest flights or best schedules.
- Check alternate airports. Sometimes, you’ll find big savings that way.
- Be realistic. Prices for holiday travel are almost always more expensive than for other times of the year.
- When you find a good fare, be ready to buy. There are often only a handful of seats available at the best rates and they get snapped up quickly.
- Pay baggage fees in advance and factor them into your travel budget.
- Use Price Drop Payback: If your itinerary drops after you’ve booked, you could receive up to a $100 credit back!