Here to Help

What type of identification do I need to fly?

UPDATE: By May 3, 2023 every American 18 years old or older, must have a Real-ID compliant driver’s license or state I.D. to travel on a domestic flight. Other acceptable forms of identification include U.S. passports.

We know how much time you spent primping for your driver’s license and passport photos! Now that you’re hopping on a flight – it’s time to show the airline and security personnel how photogenic you are!

For adult U.S. Citizens (18 years and older) traveling within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico, a valid passport or valid driver’s license is required.

Important: U.S. citizens traveling to the United States by air from the Caribbean, Mexico, Bermuda or Canada are required to travel with a valid U.S. passport. U.S. citizens returning directly from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are not required to show passports.

For minor U.S. Citizens (under 18 years of age) formal identification is not typically required for travel within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico when accompanied by an adult parent or guardian. Tip: bring some form of identification for your minor children – such as a copy of the birth certificate or school ID. This is especially important if the minor is close to the next age category. For instance, infants under 2 are allowed to travel for free on an adult’s lap but if they look like they might be older than 2 the airline might request proof of their age.

Visit for a full list of acceptable documents.

Passports are required for U.S. Citizens (regardless of age) traveling to all other destinations outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. Make sure to check your passport expiration date – it should be valid for a minimum of 6 months past travel completion.  To order passports online provides an affordable and convenient ordering process.  Click on this link to connect to VisaHQ to order or renew your passport.



It is the traveler’s responsibility to determine their need for and acquire all required visas. 

In addition to a valid passport, a travel or transit visa may be required by the country you are visiting or connecting through.   The need for visa and other related entry requirements vary greatly based on your nationality and country of destination.  If the traveler’s itinerary includes a transit stop (e.g. connecting flight) in a country that is not their final destination, a transit visa may be required regardless if the traveler plans to exit the airport or not. There are different types of visas depending on the purpose of travel, whether for tourism, business, transit, study, etc.  Each country has its own rules, fees, application forms, length of stay, and entry requirements.

Getting the correct information about entry requirements is critical and without the proper documentation a passenger will not be able to travel.  It’s important for travelers to know what those requirements are and get any documents in a timely manner.  Getting a visa can be a lengthy process and you want to make sure you have your documents in plenty of time before the date of travel. is affiliated with to offer a convenient option to look up visa requirements.  Use the widget to the right to put in your country of citizenship and destination country. will check for the documents needed, explain how to obtain those documents and may also have an option to purchase those documents online. can also assist with some transit visas depending on the country but they recommend contacting the embassy for the specific country to obtain more thorough information.  Contact information can be located on the website. does not provide or is responsible for information regarding entry requirements for travel.


Please see the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Traveler’s Health site for health information on specific destinations.



In an effort to keep children safe while traveling internationally, many governments have instituted procedures at entry and exit points that require parents to show documentary evidence of their relationship to all accompanying minors (children under age 18).

Additionally, many countries require that children under 18, when traveling without one or both parents/guardians, carry notarized permission from the parents or legal guardian not present for the child’s travel.

Oh, one other important thing to pack … your Cheap Air confirmation email! International Customs may require proof of a return flight back to the US. (note to self: this might be a good idea for when relatives come visit!)

Your email print out won’t take up much space in your carry on and it’s chock full of important information to assist you with a smooth check-in! And hey, if you encounter any questions at the airport, you’ll have our phone number handy to assist you with any last-minute details!